PRELUDE:  Come, Holy Spirit, Into Our Hearts  by G.F. Handel/arr. by Mark Schweizer; Julie Metz, violin

Come, Holy Spirit, into our hearts; with wind and flame, Holy you came, that all the nations might praise your name.  Come, Holy Spirit, into our hearts; and with thy seven-fold gifts impart.  Come, Spirit bright, come with thy light, come in thy power and thy people unite.  Forth from the Father, merciful, thou art.  Come, Holy Spirit, truth divine; come, fill our lives and make them thine; come, with thy blessings, come within our hearts to shine.

WELCOME AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

CALL TO WORSHIP

HYMN:  On Pentecost They Gathered [Munich]

PRAYER

INTROIT:  Come Flood This Heart of Mine by David Lantz, III; Julie Metz, violin

Come flood this heart of mine with Your great love divine.  Come, Spirit, make Your home, my heart is Yours alone.  Come flood this heart of mine with Your pure joy divine, my every sin forgive as one with You I live.  Come fill my heart, I am longing for Your power.  Your presence and peace will be mine this very hour.  Come fill my heart with Your spirit in this place.  Let my heart overflow with the fullness of Your grace.  Make of this heart of mine a vessel wholly Thine.  Drive dark and doubt away, O fill me, Lord, I pray.  Come flood this heart of mine, with Your true light divine. [Herb Frombach]

PRAYER

SCRIPTURE:  Romans 8:14-17

ANTHEM:  O Come and Dwell in Me Irish Melody/arr. by Arlen Clarke; Julie Metz, violin

O come and dwell in me, Holy Spirit of power within, and bring the glorious liberty from sorrow, fear and sin.  Let all the angel throng give glory, thanks to God on high, while earth repeats the joyful song and echoes to the sky.  Thy grace to sinners shown, the heavenly angel choirs proclaim, and cry, “Salvation to our God, salvation to the Lamb!”  Spirit of Holiness, let thy saints adore thee, send thy renewing power we kneel before thee.  When heaven and earth have fled, before thy glorious face, sing all the saints thy love hath made thine everlasting praise. [Charles Wesley]

SERMON:  “A Family of the Feisty”

HYMN:  Every Time I Feel the Spirit [Pentecost]

CELEBRATION OF HOLY COMMUNION

INVITATION AND WORDS OF INSTITUTION
PRAYER
RECEPTION
PRAYER

HYMN:  Fight the Good Fight [Duke Street]

BENEDICTION

BENEDICTION RESPONSE/POSTLUDE:  Like a Mighty Wind by Karen Marrolli; Julie Metz, violin

Like a mighty wind over rushing waters, like a soaring dove in glorious flight, come and fill the souls of your sons and daughters with your breath of love, your breath of light. You flood our hearts with a Holy Vision of a world where kindred souls rejoice, showing forth your love: our true religion; joining in one song and with one voice.  You send us forth through your Holy Spirit to bring grace to earth as you require.  Your call is love! O let us hear it! Let our souls be filled with Holy Fire!  O Spirit, move through your sons and daughters, bringing grace to earth through acts of love, through acts of light!

The flowers are given today in celebration of the Holy Spirit.

Special Offering:  The Pentecost Offering supports the church’s efforts to inspire young people to develop faith, share it and serve the church and the world in the name of Christ.  40% of Covenant’s Pentecost offering will be used by Covenant to make an impact in the lives of young people within our community. The remaining 60% will be used to support children-at-risk, youth, and young adults through ministries of the Presbyterian Mission Agency.  You can give by mailing a check to Covenant at 607 E. 3rd St. Long Beach, CA 90802 or by clicking on the GIVE button located in the upper right hand corner of the website’s home page and noting your designation on the memo line.

Would you like to sponsor flowers for one week for worship?  You can place your order for any Sunday throughout 2022 by using this link that takes you to Covenant’s Flowers for Worship form —  https://forms.gle/9C98VA1d17SPmTBV8

Write a comment:

You must be logged in to post a comment.

© 2015 Covenant Presbyterian Church
Follow us: